Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Art Lessons

I am a firm believer that anyone can draw.

"Oh, no, Diana. You are mistaken. You haven't seen me draw. I can't even draw a straight line."
That may be, but like any other activity, whether it is a game or a sport, art can be achieved if one is given proper guidance and participates in it often.

I think it's funny that drawing is one of those activities that so few think they can do. Many give up before they have even tried. People fear being judged by the lines they scribble on paper. Some people cop out and stick to the safety of stick figures. But if one really has the desire and the interest to learn to draw, I think it's possible to become the artist you want to be.

Over Easter, I spent time teaching my nieces and nephews how to draw. Like so many others, they were hesitant at first, but when I told them I could teach them, they were willing to try. They were like little sponges, absorbing everything I instructed them to do. Here are some of the things we drew together:


Emily's Squirrel

Emily's Squirrel


Emily's Easter Bunny

Emily's Easter Bunny


Jack's Alligator

Jack's Alligator


Charlie's Penguin

Charlie's Penguin

Once we finished our "lessons," we combined our efforts to draw an underwater scene. For the first time, I didn't given them any instruction on how to draw their sea creatures. And look at what they created!


Underwater Scene


What impressed me most about this was that the fear of drawing was gone. They just put pen to paper and voila! Magic.

Nothing makes me happier than drawing and creating art... but teaching the gift to others... Well, it's right up there with sheer bliss.

Dream


"The essence of drawing is the line exploring space."
- Andy Goldsworthy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails