Thursday, November 5, 2009

Last Day Before the Show

Several months ago, I approached the CEO of the company and asked him if it would be okay if I organized an amateur art show consisting of employee artwork. Without hesitation, he told me that it would be a great idea.


Preparing for the Art Show

An idea comes to fruition

So, in September, I sent out an email to the company, inviting people to participate in the show. I didn't get the response I was hoping for, but I did get a good sized group together to commit to bringing in works to exhibit. We marked November 6th as the day to hold the show. I even got permission to start the show at 4 o'clock in the afternoon on a work day.


Slowly Adding Colors

Committments are made

Those not participating in the event even gave me the great idea to make the show a joint charity event. With some collaboration, it was decided to conduct a silent auction for the donated pieces by the exhibiting artists and give the proceeds to charity. Since Thanksgiving is coming up, we decided to donate our proceeds to the Food Bank of Central and Eastern North Carolina.


Slowly Adding Colors 2

Results are being produced

As it got closer to the day of the show, my group of participants dwindled down a bit. However, those who were left to participate excitedly shared with me the details of the pieces they were preparing. I was just happy to hear that people were going to submit more than one piece under their name.


Slowly Adding Colors 4

No one can stop this train

A few days ago I learned that the CEO was even going to submit a few pieces that he did back in the third grade... and he's going to bring in a cake with "First Annual Art Show" piped on it. First Annual? The buzz around this thing is already creating the expectation of a second show. Yippee!


Slowly Adding Colors 6

Almost show time!

Tonight, I am finishing up the final details: creating artist profiles, labels for everyone's pieces, and bidding sheets for the auction. I also went shopping for some light refreshments for our guests to enjoy.


Slowly Adding Colors 7

I hope I'm not forgetting anything...

I hope the show proves to be a worthwhile event. We have so many creative people hiding in our midst. Shouldn't we encourage them to share their talents?


Slowly Adding Details


I'm all smiles

Wish us luck!

Almost There...

"As the sun colors flowers, so does art color life."
- John Lubbock

2 comments:

  1. jason helped me draw that flashlight yesterday :)

    i think the show will turn out great, you're a great host!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flashlight? It wasn't a turkey baster? ;P

    Thanks for the compliment. I'm so glad you decided to participate, too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails