Tuesday, July 6, 2010

First Friday in Downtown Raleigh

Last Friday I had the desire to see art.  I wanted to walk around and absorb beauty.  I wanted to be inspired, and I wanted to be intrigued.  What better way to spend a Friday evening than to make my way downtown for First Friday?  During every first Friday of the month, businesses in downtown Raleigh sponsor art showings paired with good food and great music.



First Fridays in Downtown Raleigh


The highlights for me?  My visits to the Visual Art Exchange and Artspace were definitely at the top of my list.  Both venues had an exhibition of talented, local artists.  The VAE held a formal show while Artspace opened up each artist's studio space to the general public.  At both events, artists were present so that visitors could ask questions and connect, not only with the work, but with the artist themselves.



Artspace Neon

There is something to be said about being allowed to cross the threshold of an artist's studio and really see the environment in which the artist's art is created.  Some artists are methodical and have bright and organized studios.  Others studios are in disarray but even their messes have a delicate beauty to them.  I could have stayed there for hours.



Ain't That the Truth!


"Art is the only way to run away without leaving home." 
- Twyla Tharp

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails