Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Sketchbook Project: 2011

By chance, I happened to notice a Facebook advertisement that promoted a sketchbook project.  Intrigued, I clicked on the ad.  (Normally, I totally ignore Facebook's planted advertisements, but this one genuinely caught my eye.)  The ad brought me to one of the most interesting projects I have ever come across.  The website drew me in right away with the following statement:

"It's like a concert tour but with sketchbooks."

Upon further investigation I learned that The Sketchbook Project is a reoccurring event established by Art House, a Brooklyn, New York based gallery.  Their mission?  In the words of the creators - to create "massive, international art projects that tie thousands of artists together - and anyone can participate."





How cool is that?  I love a challenge and a creative one at that.  I signed up immediately.  The deadline for me to submit my completed sketchbook is December 31, 2010.  After that, you can visit it on the tour.  Every sketchbook has a theme.  What theme did I choose?  Happy thoughts, of course.  I thought it was appropriate given the pure joy that art gives me.  I'm also going to have my sketchbook digitized so that it can live on in cyberspace infamy in addition to  becoming a part of the permanent collection in The Brooklyn Art Gallery.  (Yet another reason for me to visit New York one day!)

I have already received my sketchbook in the mail and can't wait to get started.  I'll be posting selected entries from it as the months progress, feeling like a rock star.  Won't you join me on the tour?

Sketchbook Tour 2011
"Great art is as irrational as great music. It is mad with its own loveliness."
-George Jean

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails